Long Course X-Adventure – Course Description and Maps
The long course event is designed for the more experienced (or more determined!) individuals and teams who can mix speed and endurance to conquer a spectacular challenge.
Each leg of the course is world class and includes plenty of variety, terrific scenery and satisfying rewards when you make it to the finish line.
Described below is the proposed course for 2017 (approvals currently being confirmed) .
1,500m Dunsborough Lakes Ocean Swim
All swimmers will start together with a deep water start * just off from the Old Dunsborough boat ramp for a superb swim through the crystal clear water of Geographe Bay. Completing a loop swim with a series of left turns, swimmers remain within 200m of the coastline at all times (making for great viewing) whilst swimming over a sandy bottom kept alive with the fluttering of small fish in the shallows. Exit the water up the boat ramp and enter Transition #1 in the car park just 30m from the water’s edge.
* The deep water start will be from a 60m wide start line, allowing considerably more space for swimmers than the 2016 mass start from the boat ramp.
12.5km Coastal Trail Run
Exit the transition area and you’ll soon be up to full speed running along the sandy beach for 1km before it changes to a rock hopper’s paradise for a more technical challenge. The sculpted sections of rocky coastline are made up of large granite boulders and rock platforms that provide plenty of traction and interest make your way along the spectacular coastline past Meelup Beach and Point Pique on the outward section of the course.
Turning away from the coast at Meelup near the half way point you run inland and gradually climb up hill before returning to the coast on a fast descent and then you’re heading for home with a fast flat run along the gravel walking track through the Meelup Regional Park, over a final climb up to the Country Club and you’re soon into Transition #2 at the Dunsborough Country Club.
20km Mountain Bike
Long course riders will complete a thrilling 20km MTB ride through the Meelup Regional Park, Country Club and surrounding areas as one giant loop that will have you on-the-rivet the whole way.
The Dunsborough Country Club and Cape Mountain Biker crews have been hard at work to provide a superb course that will include ~80% single track through ‘Brown Street’ and beyond with plenty of berms, jumps and fast straight aways through the bushland before a thrilling descent back to the TA at the Country Club. [The MTB course has yet to be finalised for 2017 but it will include heaps of single track but also plenty of over-taking opportunities to allow faster riders through.]
Once complete, riders re-rack their bikes just 100m from the end and then run to the finish line.
[Please note bike riding within Meelup Regional Park is not currently allowed outside of the event, so please respect the regulations of the park. The trails used in X-Adventure Dunsborough do include some trails within the Meelup Regional Park.]
Course key elements
- The mass swim start will be held in deep water, from a very wide start line that will provide more space for swimmers than in 2016.
- The MTB leg has been put at the end to ensure that the field is well spread out before hitting the single track, and there are plenty of overtaking opportunities on the trails to allow faster riders to pass
- The swim TA is immediately adjacent to the water so there is only a 30m run from water to transition
- The technical rock hopping section comes to less than 3km in total and includes plenty of variety from start to finish
- The start, T1, T2 and the finish are all within 500m of each other so there are minimal logistics and it is great for spectators with a great race atmosphere from start to finish
View the X-Adventure Long Course in a larger map here.
Course changes for 2017
Following the superb feedback we got from the 2016 event, we have made only minor changes to the course for 2017, these include:
- a single wave swim start from deep water:
- The start line will be at least 60m wide so will allow plenty of space for swimers spread out. The first turn buoy is 400m away so there is plenty of time to spread out before the first buoy
- the single wave start helps to reduce congestion on the course compared to wave starts as there will not be faster competitors (who started later) going past slower competitors (who started earlier)
- It will allow athletes to see how they rank overall and provide fairer results as everyone starts together
- moved T2 and the finish area to the 18th fairway so it is closer to the Country Club buildings and the start
- tweaked the MTB course to provide more passing opportunities
Please note bike riding within Meelup Regional Park is not currently allowed outside of the event, so please respect the regulations of the national park. The trails used in X-Adventure Dunsborough do include some trails within the Meelup Regional Park.