Rapid Ascent is excited to welcome over 1,400 riders to Forrest, Victoria this weekend for two huge days of racing at The Otway Odyssey and Great Otway Gravel Grind (GOGG) presented by Focus, one of the most iconic races in Australia.
The 12th edition features mountain bike races; the 100km Odyssey, the 50km Shorty and the 30km Rookie, all starting and finishing amidst a huge bike expo and food festival at the Forrest Football Ground. The GOGG races and the kids 10km Pioneer MTB will be held on Sunday 25th February.
Competitors range from the recreational to the elite who will travel from across Australia and overseas to race, including 4 x 100km Odyssey champion Peta Mullens of Bendigo, 3 x 24hr world solo champ and 11 x Otway Odyssey 100km racer Jessica Douglas (Geelong), 13 x Australian MTB champion and 6 x Otway Odyssey winner Chris Jongewaard (Adelaide), former world number one, two-time Commonwealth gold medal winner, and 11-time Tour de France yellow jersey wearer Phil Anderson.
The weather forecast for the weekend is looking very favourable with cooler temperatures and the chance of a shower (25 degrees on Saturday, and 21 degrees Sunday); if the forecast shower of rain on Friday eventuates it will settle the dust and make the courses even faster.
All courses of the Otway Odyssey take advantage of the extensive network of single track and 2WD roads of Forrest and the Otways that are known as some of the most diverse and fun trails in the country.
We encourage the general public to cheer on the riders if you see them, and also be aware of the course-markings on roads and trails and the short road closures, and we thank locals for sharing and maintaining the trails for the riders.
The event generated an overall economic impact of $4.9million to the Otway economy in 2017, with entries being in line with previous years we expect the impact to be similar again this year, reinforcing the race weekend as one of the region’s premier events.
An the electrifying race atmosphere for both competitors and spectators, the Grommets Ride, plus the array of adventures on offer in the Great Otway National Park including walks, waterfalls, lighthouses and local produce make it an event weekend the whole family can enjoy.
In addition to the 1,400 competitors, several thousand spectators are also expected to descend on the Forrest region for the event.
Entries to the 2018 Otway Odyssey are still available online at www.OtwayOdyssey.com.au until 3pm Thursday, after which entries will be available on Friday night at the Event Expo and on race mornings.
Date: Saturday 24th February and Sunday 25th February, 2017
Location: Forrest, Otway National Park, Victoria
• Odyssey 100km
• Shorty 50km
• Rookie 30km
• Pioneer 10km
• Grommets Ride
• GOGG Big Ring 97km
• GOGG Little Ring 49km
Where: Forrest, Otway National Park, Victoria
• Event Centre at the Forrest Football Ground, Yaugher Rd, including race registration, start and finish lines, sponsors bike expo, food and drinks - 1.5km north of the township of Forrest
• Event Centre is also the intermediary point for 100km, 50km, and 30km races with riders coming back through at various points on the course – the perfect place for spectators
7:00am START: 100km Odyssey elite women race start
7:30am START: 100km Odyssey race start - for all riders (except elite females)
8:00am START: 50km Shorty race start for all riders
9:15am 30km Male only Rookie riders start
9:35am 30km Female only Rookie riders start
10:15am FINISH: Winning 50km rider expected
10:45am FINISH: Winning 30km male rider expected
11:50am FINISH: Winning 100km rider expected
1:00pm PRESENTATIONS: 50km Shorty and 30km Rookie
1:30pm Grommets ride activities commence – Forrest Football Ground
3:30pm PRESENTATIONS: 100km Odyssey
8:00am START: GOGG big-ring 97km
9:00am START: GOGG small-ring 49km
9:45am START: 10km Pioneer
10:15am FINISH: 10km Pioneer winner expected
10:45am FINISH: GOGG 49km winner expected
11:00am FINISH GOGG 97km winner expected
12:00pm PRESENTATIONS: 10km Pioneer
1:00pm PRESENTATIONS: GOGG 97km and 49km races
• The Birregurra – Forrest Road will be closed between Forrest and Barwon Downs to all north bound cars between 7:00am – 7:15am and closed to cars in both directions between 7:30am and 8:00am.
• The Colac – Forrest Road will remain open all day and is another recommended driving route
• Australia’s elite riders through to recreational and first-time racers.
• 4 x 100km Odyssey champion Peta Mullens of Bendigo, 3 x 24hr world solo champ and 11 x Otway Odyssey 100km racer Jessica Douglas (Geelong), 13 x Australian MTB champion and 6 x Otway Odyssey winner Chris Jongewaard (Adelaide), former world number one, two-time Commonwealth gold medal winner, and 11-time Tour de France yellow jersey wearer Phil Anderson returning for a 7th time, 2013 champ Renata Bucher
• Odyssey faithfuls who have completed every 100km Odyssey to date, including Jessica Douglas, David Rusden, Lee Floyd, Dave Scarlett, Brian John and Craig Sullivan
• International riders: from Spain, United States and Singapore
• Hundreds of interstate racers: 100 from SA, 37 from NSW, 13 from WA, 13 from ACT and 8 from QLD.
Entries: Open online until 3pm Thursday via www.otwayodyssey.com.au, after which entries will be available on Friday night at the Event Expo and on race mornings.
Race Results will be available on race days via the Otway Odyssey website HERE
To check out an album of Otway Odyssey photos CLICK HERE
SOCIAL MEDIA - STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE OTWAY ODYSSEY NEWS:
Facebook – @RapidAscentEvents & Facebook Group Odyssey Angels | Instagram - @rapidascent | Twitter - @Rapid_Ascent