EVENT DESCRIPTION AND DETAILS
The Redback, an award-winning event, gives you four days and six stages of incredible mountain biking in Australia's red centre.
The event is all about racing some good miles on your bike and then kicking back around the pool with new and old friends afterwards. Its about riding in a truly awesome location, where the tectonic lines of the MacDonnell Ranges disappear into a distant horizon, with big blue skies, rolling single track and within a majestic desert landscape.
“Mountain biking definitely brings people together - you could see it after every stage where people would be comparing stories from the day's adventures out on the trails. This then carried over to the pool, dinner the airport and beyond.” James Downing (3rd overall in 2013 and 2015, event ambassador)
The stages for 2018 have been tweaked, providing riders with the best of the best riding Alice Springs has to offer:
- Stage 1 - Desert Technologies 39km Cross Country Race - Thursday (AM)
- Stage 2 - Rapid Ascent 300m ANZAC Hill Climb - Thursday (PM)
- Stage 3 - Schwalbe 22km Individual Time Trial - Friday (AM)
- Stage 4 - Tourism NT 22km Night Race - Friday (PM)
- Stage 5 - Lasseters Hotel 50km Cross Country Race - Saturday (AM)
- Stage 6 - Mercure Alice Springs Resort 45km Cross Country Race - Sunday (AM)
(Note: approximate distances only)
For full details on each stage check out the course description page
The event format allows riders to enter all 6 stages OR pick and choose just the races you want to do which is great for riders with less experience or locals who still need to work.
Either way Alice Springs delivers incredible riding in an incredible landscape so join us for a week you'll never forget.
'THE EASIEST RACE LOGISTICS OF ANY STAGE RACE' - guaranteed!
The Redback has the easiest race logistics of any MTB stage race in Australia thanks to the sheer quantity (and quality) of trails in close proximity to Alice Springs. The event's unique attributes are:
- Multi-day stage race without multi-day logistics – all race days start and finish within rolling distance of Alice Springs, so no rental car or support crew necessary (we’ll even pick you up at the airport!)
- On-course nutrition is provided - you can also leave your own special brew with us to take out to the water points for you
- Race in the morning then kick back and party on by the pool in the afternoon
- Frequent race presentations and social functions to build the event atmosphere
- Choose to stay in the appointed event hotel with negotiated rates and full event centre including bike servicing and cleaning, massage, food, entertainment and nightly presentations.
If you thought the outback was full of sand and corrugations you’re wrong! This is single track heaven with endless blue skies and dusty smiles.
Here are some great videos that Norm Douglas put together at the event in 2014, which show what the event and the Alice Springs trails are like with a relaxed and friendly style. Enjoy!
Here's a video by Flow Mountain Bike that provides a really good sense of what the trails are like around Alice Springs (2017)