EVENT DESCRIPTION AND DETAILS
22-25 August, 2019
The award-winning Redback, gives you 4-days and 6-stages of incredible mountain biking in Australia's red centre.
The event is all about racing some good miles on your bike and then kicking back around the pool with new and old friends afterwards. It's about riding in a truly awesome location, where the tectonic lines of the MacDonnell Ranges disappear into a distant horizon, with big blue skies, rolling single track and within a majestic desert landscape.
"Alice Springs Rocks! Fantastic event, riding the creek beds, ragged rocks, stunning scenery all made an impact... I felt a huge sense of self achievement to complete all 6 stages." Ruth M (2018 participant)
The stages for 2019 have been tweaked, including a NEW Stage 1 course, providing riders with the best of the best riding Alice Springs has to offer:
- Stage 1 - Tourism NT 35km
- Stage 2 - Rapid Ascent 300m ANZAC Hill Climb - Thursday (PM)
- Stage 3 - 22km Individual Time Trial - Friday (AM)
- Stage 4 - 22km Night Race - Friday (PM)
- Stage 5 - 42.5km Cross Country Race - Saturday (AM)
- Stage 6 - Mercure Alice Springs Resort 46km Cross Country Race - Sunday (AM)
(Note: approximate distances only)
Full Course Details HERE
The event format allows riders to enter all 6 stages OR pick and choose just the races you want to do which is great for riders with less experience or locals who still need to work.
If you thought the outback was full of sand and corrugations you’re wrong! This is single track heaven with endless blue skies and dusty smiles.
'THE EASIEST RACE LOGISTICS OF ANY STAGE RACE' - guaranteed!
The Redback has the easiest race logistics of any MTB stage race in Australia thanks to the sheer quantity (and quality) of trails in close proximity to Alice Springs. The event's unique attributes are:
- Multi-day stage race without multi-day logistics – all race days start and finish within rolling distance of Alice Springs, so no rental car or support crew necessary (we’ll even pick you up at the airport!)
- On-course nutrition is provided - you can also leave your own special brew with us to take out to the water points for you
- Race in the morning then kick back and party on by the pool in the afternoon
- Frequent race presentations and social functions to build the event atmosphere
- Choose to stay in the appointed event hotel with negotiated rates and full event centre including bike servicing and cleaning, massage, food, entertainment and nightly presentations.
“Mountain biking definitely brings people together - you could see it after every stage where people would be comparing stories from the day's adventures out on the trails. This then carried over to the pool, dinner the airport and beyond.” James Downing (3rd overall in 2013 and 2015, event ambassador)
Here are some great videos that Norm Douglas put together at the event in 2014, which show what the event and the Alice Springs trails are like with a relaxed and friendly style. Enjoy!
Here's a video by Flow Mountain Bike that provides a really good sense of what the trails are like around Alice Springs (2017)