This Saturday over 700 runners from across Australia and overseas will test their physical limits at the inaugural Margaret River Ultra Marathon, a scenic and diverse 80km trail running race from Hamelin Bay to Wilyabrup on the Cape to Cape coastline of south-west Western Australia.
Competitors will run through an incredible range of breathtaking landscapes including awe-inspiring Karri tree forests, cliff top trails with endless ocean views, white sandy beaches, quaint coastal villages and rolling hinterland terrain.
The 80km point to point course can be completed by individuals or teams of up to five runners who will divide the distance into a relay with five different legs varying between 10km and 20km.
The brand new event was designed as an achievable challenge for all levels, from elites through to trail running newcomers. Following the premier event on Saturday will be a fun two kilometre Kids Run at the Cheeky Monkey event centre on Sunday morning.
The Margaret River Ultra Marathon is organised by Rapid Ascent, a Victorian events management company that also conducts the Surf Coast Century ultra marathon in Victoria and the Act-Belong-Commit Augusta Adventure Fest in WA, amongst many other off-road races around Australia.
Part of the allure of the event is it provides the ideal opportunity for runners to combine their love of running with a visit to one of Australia’s most beautiful regions; Margaret River in south-west Western Australia – the course remaining accessible and within easy reach of the wineries, cafes and beaches that the area is famous for.
This is a ‘full service’ event with all the customer service considerations you’d expect from an industry leader, including transport, well stocked checkpoints with food and drinks, a marked and marshalled course and stop off points for spectators and support crews that will allow non-runners to take in the best of the landscape as well.
For more information on the Margaret River Ultra Marathon head to www.MRUltramarathon.com.au
When: Saturday 5th May 2018 and Sunday 6th May, 2018
Where: Margaret River, South-West Western Australia
What: An 80 kilometre ultra marathon with two options; Solo 80km or relay team of 2-5 runners doing one (or more) legs each. Leg breakdown:
Leg 1: 10.5km Hamelin Bay to Boranup Campsite
Leg 2: 18km Boranup Campsite to Lake Cave. Total: 28.5km
Leg 3: 19.5km Lake Cave to White Elephant Café, Total: 48km
Leg 4: 14km White Elephant Café to Ellensbrook Homestead. Total: 62km
Leg 5: 18km Ellensbrook Homestead to Cheeky Monkey Brewery and Cidery. Total: 80km
Friday 4th May
• 5:00pm – 8:00pm Competitor registration in the event centre at the Cheeky Monkey
• 5:30pm – 7:00pm Live music in the event centre
• 7:00pm Competitor briefing for all runners in the event centre at the Cheeky Monkey
Saturday 5th May
• 5:30pm Shuttle bus pick up from Cheeky Monkey to the start line at Hamelin Bay
• 6:30am - 7:00am Late registration at Hamelin bay
• 7:00am RACE START, Hamelin Bay
• 12:30pm – 7:00pm Sponsors expo official open in the event centre at the Cheeky Monkey
• 1:15pm Winning 80km relay team expected to finish
• 2:30pm Winning solo 80km runners expected to finish
• 1:00am Course closes
Sunday 6th May
• 9:00am – 9:30am Competitor registration for the 2km kids’ run in the event centre at the Cheeky Monkey
• 9:30am Kids’ Run START - around the winery grounds at the Cheeky Monkey
• 10:00am Event presentations in the event centre at the Cheeky Monkey
ADDITIONAL LOCATIONS TO SEE RUNNERS
There are numerous additional locations that media and spectators can see runners outside of the Checkpoints.
• 23km pt – 100m in from the intersection of Boranup Drive and Caves Rd
• 42km pt – at Redgate Beach car park
• 46km pt – at the southern end of Gas Bay Rd in Gnarabup
• 50km pt – at Surfers Point and the Margaret River mouth
• 65km pt – at the southern end of the Left Handers car park past Gracetown
Available on the day at race registration (online entries are now closed).
LIVE RESULTS AND ATHLETE TRACKING
Event results will be available HERE
Athlete tracker for timing splits at each checkpoint - available HERE
Live tracking map is available HERE via RACEMAP
*NB Only runners that choose to use the RACEMAP app (~50%) will be trackable live
Event Hashtag: #MargaretRiverUltra