FINAL EVENT INFORMATION: We encourage all competitors to download and read the official Run Larapinta 'Event Program' before you arrive at Alice Springs. This contains all the final event information like schedule, course maps, cut-off times, mandatory gear lists… and is essential reading when completing your final preparations for the event. (We will also give you a printed copy during registration). CLICK HERE to download (11meg, right click and ‘save as’)
The rules listed below are current at the time of publication and may well be updated prior to the race (although the basis of the rules will stay the same):
- (all participants) must read and sign the Participant Indemnity
- Juniors only - (under 18 on race day) must have their parent or guardian advise the organisers, Rapid Ascent, of their intention to enter, must comply with the Under 18 entry requirements as published on the event website and the parent or guardian must read and sign an authorisation and indemnity.
- Competitors must meet the minimum entry requirements (new for 2018), as detailed HERE
- Competitors must follow the complete course as marked and directed. Taking shortcuts or using any unfair means of obtaining an advantage over other competitors will result in disqualification. It is the competitor’s responsibility to ensure that the correct course is followed.
- Your race number must be visible at all times on the outside of your clothing (at the front and rear).
- Competitors may not receive assistance from their support crews or anyone else external to the race at any time. Competitors may only receive support from race organisers and officials, except in an emergency situation
- One competitor cannot provide assistance in forward progression through physical pushing / pulling / towing, or the provision of food or drinks, or the carrying of their equipment from another competitor except in emergency circumstances
- Australian Road Rules apply at all times on all roads, tracks and trails
- You must carry the Mandatory Gear as specified in the equipment list. A 30 minute penalty will apply for any (and every) item found missing during any random gear checks and you will not be allowed to continue until the item is replaced. You can expect random gear checks to be made during the race.
- Competitors are responsible for the actions of their support crew and may be penalised for actions or breaches of the rules by their support crew
- Support crews are not permitted to run with or pace runners
- Any competitor who withdraws from the race MUST notify an official. This is an essential requirement to avoid unnecessary searches being conducted and emergency services being engaged
- All competitors must report in at the manned water / checkpoints as described in the notes for each stage
- All runners are permitted to lodge protests against results or decisions enforced during the event. A judging panel of three Rapid Ascent staff members will adjudicate on all protests and other contentious matters, and their decision will be final. Protests must be lodged within 30 minutes of the subject competitor crossing the finish line.
- Rapid Ascent has sole discretion to alter or amend the race schedule, cut off times and race rules in order to increase the safety of participants or for any other reason deemed appropriate. All changes to the details as published in this program will also be posted to the event notice board at The Mercure and at Glen Helen. It is up to the competitors to check this notice board for any changes.
- If the race is cancelled or called off after it has started, it is each competitor’s responsibility to get themselves to the start / finish area as soon as you have been notified of the cancellation.
- Littering is prohibited.
Cut off times
The following cut off times are set for the nominated stages (as included in the stage descriptions on earlier pages):
- Stage 1: All runners must have departed the water point (12km pt) by 6:45pm
- Stage 2: All runners must have departed the water point south of Fish Hole (28km pt) by 12:00pm
- Stage 4: All runners must have departed the Rocky Bar Gap water point (27km pt) by 11:45am
- Stage 1: All runners must have departed the water point (~5.5km pt) by 6:45pm
- Stage 2: All runners must have departed the water point south of Fish Hole (6.5km pt) by 12:00pm
- Stage 4: All runners must have departed the Rocky Bar Gap water point (11km pt) by 11:45am
Runners failing to reach a cut off cannot proceed any further on course for that stage and must go with the race official in their vehicle to the finish line. Runners who miss a cut off can restart the next stage the following day but will be listed as an un-ranked competitor in the official results.
Rapid Ascent provides a certain amount of ‘duty of care’ over all competitors, volunteers and stakeholders in the Run Larapinta Stage Race. We will ensure that the race is run as it is described, with water where it is described, support where it is described and assistance where it is described in the event program.
Where conditions are beyond ‘normal’ (e.g. hotter than 30 deg) we will extend our duty of care over participants to help you handle the conditions. We have our own risk management plans, emergency plans and procedures to follow if an incident happens and are in correspondence with the National Parks and Wildlife and other land managers and stakeholders to ensure that the course environment is as described.
BUT it is also up to the participants – including runners, spectators, volunteers, stakeholders… to use common sense and take care of yourselves and each other whilst at the event. Event participants also have a duty of care over themselves to ensure, for example, they have enough water with them to get to the next checkpoint, to dress appropriately for the conditions, to handle yourselves correctly if you are hot, to care for your feet and ankles so they can handle the terrain…. etc.
Whilst Rapid Ascent will provide support and assistance (and evacuation) where needed, it is also up to the participants to ensure you prepare yourself and can handle the conditions of the event.
If you wish to discuss the safety of the event and our plans and procedures please contact us at any time via
email@example.com or 03 5261 5511.