The rules listed below are current at the time of publication and may well be updated prior to the race (although the basis of the rules will stay the same):
- (all participants) must read and sign the Participant Indemnity
- Juniors only - (under 18 on race day) must have their parent or guardian advise the organisers, Rapid Ascent, of their intention to enter, must comply with the Under 18 entry requirements as published on the event website and the parent or guardian must read and sign an authorisation and indemnity.
- Competitors must meet the minimum entry requirements (new for 2018), as detailed HERE
- Competitors must follow the complete course as marked and directed. Taking shortcuts or using any unfair means of obtaining an advantage over other competitors will result in disqualification. It is the competitor’s responsibility to ensure that the correct course is followed.
- Your race number must be visible at all times on the outside of your clothing (at the front and rear).
- Competitors may not receive assistance from their support crews or anyone else external to the race at any time. Competitors may only receive support from race organisers and officials, except in an emergency situation
- One competitor cannot provide assistance in forward progression through physical pushing / pulling / towing, or the provision of food or drinks, or the carrying of their equipment from another competitor except in emergency circumstances
- Australian Road Rules apply at all times on all roads, tracks and trails
- You must carry the Mandatory Gear as specified in the equipment list. A 30 minute penalty will apply for any (and every) item found missing during any random gear checks and you will not be allowed to continue until the item is replaced. You can expect random gear checks to be made during the race.
- Competitors are responsible for the actions of their support crew and may be penalised for actions or breaches of the rules by their support crew
- Support crews are not permitted to run with or pace runners
- Any competitor who withdraws from the race MUST notify an official. This is an essential requirement to avoid unnecessary searches being conducted and emergency services being engaged
- All competitors must report in at the manned water / checkpoints as described in the notes for each stage
- All runners are permitted to lodge protests against results or decisions enforced during the event. A judging panel of three Rapid Ascent staff members will adjudicate on all protests and other contentious matters, and their decision will be final. Protests must be lodged within 30 minutes of the subject competitor crossing the finish line.
- Rapid Ascent has sole discretion to alter or amend the race rules in order to increase the safety of participants or for any other reason deemed appropriate.
- If the race is cancelled or called off after it has started, it is each competitor’s responsibility to get themselves to the start / finish area as soon as you have been notified of the cancellation.
- Littering is prohibited.
Cut off times
There are a limited number of cut off times along the courses as described in the stage notes on course description page of this website. Malubunka | Namatjira
These cut offs are quite generous and are more designed to give slower runners a target and keep people moving rather than to cut people off unnecessarily. Runners who miss the cut off times will be removed from the course and brought back to the finish in an event vehicle. If you miss a cut off on a certain stage you are only cut off from that stage and can start following stages on following if you wish.