Event day info
Read (or download) this handy 2 pager that outlines all the race day details you need to know.
Run for Geelong’s Kids will be based in the beautiful foreshore precinct at Steampacket Gardens on Eastern Beach Parade. The race centre is immediately adjacent the finish line and will be a hive of activity and entertainment on race day.
Come and celebrate your accomplishments and the electric race atmosphere in the extensive race centre set up on Steampacket Gardens, including:
- live music
- sponsor displays
- kids’ zone with jumping castle and face painting
- a broad range of food stands
- coffee and cold drinks
- + plenty more so make sure you come and join the fun.
The following competitor services will be freely available on Steampacket Gardens on race day:
- Bag storage area. We will look after your bags and personal belongings while you’re running / walking.
- Aerobics warm up. Get warmed up and ready to race with our energetic warm up held 10mins before each race start
- Massage. Pro Feet Podiatry will be providing massages for runners from their expo stand on Steampacket Gardens so make sure you visit them to smooth out any sore spots after your run.
- Toilets. Porta loos will be located near the entrance to Cunningham Pier and on Steampacket Gardens, in addition to the permanent public toilets located at Cunningham Pier, Transvaal Square and Eastern Beach.
- Competitor massage. Enjoy a free rub down thanks to our partnered sports medicine centre.
- Free water and fruit. Grab a cup of water and a some fruit from the water stations at the finish line
The 10km run, 5km run and 5km walk events:
- Race start is at the corner of Gheringhap St and Western Beach Rd and competitors head off in a westerly direction.
The 1km kids’ run:
- Race start is at the western end of Ritchie Boulevard just near the Geelong Yacht Club with kids heading off in an Easterly direction.
Finish line: All events finish on Eastern Beach Rd directly opposite Steampacket Gardens.
Car Parking: We recommend you park your vehicle in either of the following locations:
- Deakin Uni carpark, enter from Smythe St
- Geelong Train Station carpark, enter from Latrobe Tce
- Eastern Gardens
- Suburban streets that are NOT located on the event course(s)
Please be aware that you may not be able to remove your vehicle from the Geelong City Centre until after 10:00am due to road closures for the event. The recommended early departure streets are the streets including and east of Gheringhap St.
Competitor Number Plates
All competitors must collect your race pack including your event t-shirt and unique number plate from our collection centre in the 2 days leading up to the event (or on race morning). Please attach your number plate to the front of your shirt so it is easily visible from the front.
Medical assistance and first aid
A professional medical organisation will be providing medical assistance and first aid services during Run for Geelong’s Kids. They will have remote/mobile first aid stations around the course as well as at the finish line (on the right as you approach the finish arch). Please approach them if you need assistance or see anyone needing help.
Time limits for ALL Events
Competitors should finish by 10.15am. Any competitors still on the course after this time must move to the footpath and continue to the finish obeying normal road rules. This is to allow roads to be re-opened.
Health and safety recommendations
We encourage all participants to ensure they are fit enough to participate in their chosen event and to seek medical advice beforehand if unsure.
We recommend that participants are well hydrated prior to the start of the event and that they remember to drink whilst on the course.
Please be aware that competitors are pedestrians on public roads and must follow the instructions of the race officials and marshals at all times whilst participating in the events.
Please adhere to the following guidelines to preserve everyone’s safety and enjoyment whilst participating in the events:
- Only participants who have registered and have an official Run for Geelong’s Kids race number will be permitted on the course.
- Pets, scooters, skates, skateboards or bikes are NOT permitted on the course.
- Prams are welcome but if you intend to walk and push a pram (rather than run and push a pram) please participate in the 5km TAC Family Walk