Otway Odyssey Race Rules
Rapid Ascent has sole discretion to alter or amend the race format or the rules in order to increase the safety of participants or for any other reason deemed appropriate.
The following race rules apply to all competitors in the 100km Otway Odyssey, 50km Shorty, and 30km Rookie races:
- Competitors must start and finish the full course on a non-motorised bicycle.
- Competitors must ride the complete course as marked and directed, passing through all checkpoints on your course. Taking shortcuts or using any unfair means of obtaining an advantage over other competitors will result in disqualification. It is the rider’s responsibility to ensure that the correct course is followed
- All competitors must wear a certified bike helmet at ALL times.
- Individual competitors must use only one bike frame for the entire ride, although wheel changes are permissible in the designated support area inside the Forrest Festival.
- If female competitors in the MTB 100km race wish to be eligible for cash prize money (including the Queen of the Mountain and Timed Descent) they MUST start in the elite womens field start. Competitors wishing to race in this category must notify Rapid Ascent at registration.
- In order to win either the King or Queen of the Mountain or Timed Descent, a rider must also complete the entire distance of the race entered .
- All competitors must carry the listed compulsory equipment for the entire race.
- MTB races only: Failure to carry the required First Aid Kit will result in a 20 minute time penalty (does not apply to 10km event)
- Riders who withdraw at any time after the start must advise a marshal of their withdrawal immediately.
- Race numbers must be displayed on the handlebars at all times and cannot be modified or cut down in size in any way.
- Riders may accept mechanical assistance on the course only by other registered racers, designated race officials and the specified race mechanic as long as it does not result in assisted forward progression. Outside assistance from anyone else may only be provided on the playing surface of the Forrest Football Ground (MTB races only) or in the designated time out zones (GOGG riders only).
- One competitor cannot provide assistance in forward progression (pushing / pulling / towing) or food or drinks to another competitor in another category except in emergency circumstances.
- For the Otway Odyssey 100km race, cut-off times at two key points will be strictly enforced as listed below.
- Pedal assisted e-bikes may be used provided they do not have a power output greater than 250watts or a powered speed faster than 25km/hr. E-bikes will have their own category and will not be eligible for age group or overall prizes or prize money.
- Australian Road Rules apply at all times on all roads, tracks and trails.
- Only registered riders, marshals or officials may ride on the course.
- Failure to abide by these rules may result in a time penalty or disqualification.
- Rapid Ascent has sole discretion to alter or amend the race format or the rules in order to increase the safety of participants or for any other reason deemed appropriate.
- All protests must be lodged with the Race Director within 15 minutes of the official results being posted. A judging panel of three (including the race director) will adjudicate on all protests and other contentious matters, and their decision will be final.
- If the race is cancelled or called off after it has started, it is each rider’s responsibility to get themselves back to either the Start or Finish areas as soon as you have been notified of the cancellation.
Cut off times
100km MTB race - cut-off times at three key points will be strictly enforced as follows:
- Riders cannot head into the Yaugher Forrest Single Track after Check Point 2 (the 38km point) after 11:15am. Such riders may skip this section and continue from Check Point 4 (65km point) as unranked competitors.
- Riders cannot head into the final loop after Check Point 4 (65km point) after 2:00pm.
- Riders cannot enter West Forrest trails after 1530. Riders who arrive at this point (85km point located at junction of West Barwon Dam Access Rd and Skenes Ck Rd) will skip West Forrest trails and ride direct to the finish
Elite Women’s Category of the 100km Otway Odyssey
In an attempt to stamp out pacing by male riders and create a fair race between all elite women, we will be starting the Elite Women in the 100km Otway Odyssey 30 minutes ahead of the main field. This start is ONLY FOR WOMEN WANTING TO BE IN CONTENTION FOR OVERALL PRIZE MONEY in the open women category. Riders hoping to win either the Queen of the Mountain Climb and/or the Timed Descent must also start in this elite women’s start.
If you are a female rider in the 100km event who is not of an elite level and is not in the hunt for prize money or hoping to win the Queen of the Mountain Climb and/or the Timed Descent, then you must start with the main field - otherwise you will block the way and cause congestion for the elite males on the single track when they catch you.
If a female rider starts in the main field and finishes in a time that gives them a place and thus prize money, this prize money will not be awarded as prize money and recognition will only be awarded to those that started in the Elite Women’s only start. Competitors wishing to race in this category must notify Rapid Ascent at registration. To be eligible for Queen of the Mountain and the Timed Descent prize money, riders must complete the whole course.