Welcome to the Surf Coast Century
ULTRA TRAIL RUNNING AT ITS BEST: SURF COAST LOCATION, DIVERSE AND CHALLENGING COURSE, STUNNING SCENERY, EXPERT EVENT ORGANISation AND an AWESOME ATMOSPHERE.
Imagine running at the foot of some of Australia's tallest coastal cliffs, while the low tide of the Southern Ocean laps the sand at your feet. Ahead lies a magical 100km and 50km trail run journey along Victoria's surf coast and wildflower hinterland.
This is a unique run with a promise that no two steps will be the same... and we welcome you to be part of it.
"These are amazing trails perfect for running... and then all of a sudden you notice you are running with some of the greatest ocean views in the world!" Don (2017 Competitor)
- 100km solo ultra marathon
- 50km solo ultra marathon (same course as 2017 - leg 3 & 4 of the 100km)
- 100km relay for teams of 2, 3 or 4
DATE: Saturday 21 September 2019
LOCATION: Start/Finish in Anglesea, Victoria, on the Great Ocean Road
ENTRIES: Entries open in Februry / March, 2019
WHO: Australia's elite runners through to those tackling their first ultra marathon - all welcome.
"SCC100 has been on my bucket list for a few years now. With the option for a relay team, I knew I could rope some of my running friends in. And we had a ball! I chose to run leg 3, as that area of Anglesea I had never explored before - I had a mix of everything, from single trail, to fireline; I loved every minute of it." Matilda (2017 Competitor)
If the course can be summarised in two words they would be 'spectacular’ and 'diverse'. There's clifftop trails providing endless ocean views, there's single track that weaves through the hinterland bush, there's wild flowers, waterfalls, lighthouses, beaches and a whole range of other jaw-dropping landscapes that you'll race through as part of this incredible event.
We have stopped at nothing to secure the best possible course for this race and being in our own backyard we’ve included all the secret spots that few people know about… This is a course that provides plenty of variety to keep you interested and excited, easy access for spectators and support crews, and extensive on-course support and assistance.
We are very excited to be continuing with the 50km race over leg 3 and 4 (the 'second' half) of the 100km course, as introduced in 2017. So if you missed this one, or keen to better your time, now's your chance!
Do it solo or in a relay team
100KM - solo and relay teams
This course may be completed by individuals and relay teams.
- Individuals: one person completing the full 100km
- Relay teams of 2: two people who share the four legs between them, interchanging only at the designated transition areas. Each runner may do consecutive legs, or break it up and do alternate legs and then hand over to their team mate who does a leg who then hands back and so forth.
- Relay teams of 3 or 4: this may be four people who each do one leg, or a team of 3 where one person does 2 legs and the others do 1 leg each.
50KM - solo only
Individual runners only (no relay teams for the 50km). The 50km Half Century in 2018 will be held over the second half of the 100km course, over the famed Leg 3 and Leg 4 (as changed in 201).
Kids Run (2.4km)
A 2.4km run around the Anglesea River for kids on Sunday morning. Well over 100+ enthusiastic kids take part in this spectacle event that gives our junior runners aged up to 10 years the chance have a go. Click Here for KIDS RUN details.
Ideal event for first timers
The Surf Coast Century is recognised as the ideal event for someone tackling their first ultra marathon and we take pleasure in providing a whole range of information and resources to help you get started, such as:
- Training programs and free advice from a highly regarded coach
- Free guided training runs over the entire course in the lead up to the race
- Blog stories and testimonials from other ultra-new-comers to provide you with plenty of inspiration and encouragement
- Gear advice and some fun FAQ’s to help answer all those ‘how do I’ questions.
- Monthly blog updates from someone else who's also training for their first ultra marathon so you can follow along together
Check out our ‘First Timers’ page for all the information..
“I just wanted to say thank you for the amazing experience at the Surf Coast Century! I was the very last runner to cross the finish line at 1:30 am, and it was just a great event! It was my first 100 km race and I really enjoyed it. I loved the running, the landscape, the athmosphere... just everything about it! Thank you for putting up a great event!” Anna (100km Solo runner 2015)
ITRA / UTMB qualifying race
The Surf Coast Century individual races are registered with the International Trail Running Association (ITRA) and will provide successful runners with ITRA points (to help runners qualify for large international races), and UTMB points as an official qualifying race for this iconic event:
- ITRA rating: 4 Endurance Points, 2 Mountain Points and Finisher Rating of 280.
- UTMB points: 4 Points (new system).
- ITRA rating: 2 Endurance Points, 2 Mountain Points and Finisher Rating of 340.
- UTMB points: 2 Points (new system).
For further information on what the ITRA points mean click here and for more information on the UTMB (Ultra Trail Du Mont Blanc) click here.
Western States Endurance Run Qualifying Race
Runners who finish the Surf Coast Century 100km course as a solo runner under 16hrs may use their result as their qualifying race for the Western States Endurance Run (100 mile) ballot.
The Western States 100 is the world’s oldest 100mile trail races and one of the world’s most prestigious running events. To be one of only of only 6 races in the Southern Hemisphere to receive this commendation is a great honour.
2018 Surf Coast Century hightlights
The 'official' video from the 2018 that captures the landscapes and the people who completed this iconic event.
The 100km journey
A terrific 9min narrative made by Elliana Saltalamacchia made for her university studies that follows the journey of 3 different runners as tackle the 100km event.
2015 race summary from
Check out this truly beautiful video documenting the 2015 Surf Coast Century journey, compiled by Adventure Types. For those who haven't been to the event, this will provide a great insight into what it's all about. Enjoy!
And here is another beautiful documentary made in 2014 by Norm Douglas that really captures some of the people and personalities behind the event.