Equipement and Safety
Index to the information below:
We use and recommend THULE – Bike Racks & Carriers
Bring your life. On two wheels. Whether it’s an everyday commute or a long distance adventure, Thule’s bike products are designed for you to make the most of your active life in the saddle – safely, easily and in style.
From stylish bike bags with practical racks, to bike transport cases and convenient bike racks for up to four bikes. All easy to mount, use and store. And with our bike trailers and child bike seats, sharing your active life with the little ones has never been easier.
Need a bike - try Forrest hire bikes
If you are heading to the Otway Odyssey from afar and can't travel with your bike, Forrest Hire Bikes has a new Otway Odyssey offer - including rental of a hard tail bike (various sizes available), helmet, t-shirt, drink bottle, gels, bike wash post-race and more. Head over to www.forresthirebikes.com.au for more info, find them on Facebook, or give Sandy a call on 0448 843 236.
*for Otway Odyssey 100km, 50km and 30km MTB races only:
- First Aid Kit, comprising:
- 2 x crepe bandages
- 2 x non-adhesive wound dressings
- 6 x steri-strip wound closures
- 1 x triangular bandage
- 1 pr of surgical gloves
Pack your own, or available to purchase through your online entry, the merchandise page, or at registration on race weekend.
Random checks will be made throughout the event and those caught without a First Aid Kit anywhere along the course, including at the start and finish lines, will be penalised 20 minutes.
- At least two litres of water and/or sports drink at the start of your race – even more if it is a hot day and you drink a lot!
- Food and nutrition
- Sustenance to last you until you reach the Forrest Festival site
- Bike kit, comprising:
- pump, tyre levers, puncture repair kit, and at least one spare inner tube
- chain breaker
- allen key set
- bike lube (eg, Squirt)
- spare derailleur hanger (in case you break it or bend it)
- and knowing how to use your tools!
- Cash $!
- to buy food or purchase bike repairs at the Festival.
- there is no ATM at Forrest!
- Rain jacket and/or thermal top and bottom (weather dependent).
- Mobile phone
- Emergency space blanket (available for purchase through online entry, or on our merchandise page)
This may sound like a lot of gear to be lugging around on a ride and in many cases you won’t need it all. However, if something does happen to you or your bike in a remote location, you’ll be well equipped to deal with most situations or stay safe until help arrives.
Pre-race equipment checks
Don’t forget to double check your bike for any mechanical issues before the race. HERE is a list of relatively simple things to check beforehand or take your bike to your nearest bike shop for a tune up before the race to make sure it’s running sweetly.
EMERGENCY PLANS AND PROCEDURES
Event withdrawal for emergency purposes – severe injury
If you have a serious crash or injury whilst out on the course we suggest the following procedures:
- if you are able and without incurring further injury, move off the actual line of travel so you are out of the way of other riders and cannot cause further injury to yourself or others
- stay on the course / track at all times - do not try and find your own way to a road by cutting ‘cross country’
- seek assistance from other riders as they come past - tell them to relay a message forward to the next marshal and checkpoint confirming your location and suspected injuries
- stay calm, use your First Aid Kit. Help will be on its way as soon as possible
- We will have a ‘Grim Sweeper’ following the last riders along the course.
Please note that Rapid Ascent reserves the right to change or alter the course from the description outlined (due to fire, rain, private landowners or other reasons) and that any changes will be clearly communicated to riders through any of the following means:
- SMS sent to competitors’ phones
- during registration via announcements on the PA and notice posted on the race notice board on Saturday evening at Forrest
- when riders are assembled at the start line or
- when riders pass a checkpoint.
- Please see the Emergency Plans and Procedures section below for more emergency plan information.
FIRE SAFETY AND EXTREME WEATHER
Rapid Ascent are in constant communication with DEPI, Parks Victoria (PV) and the CFA about the prospect of a fire in the region of the event. We have made a commitment not to compromise the safety of any competitors, any CFA, PV or DEPI personnel dispatched to attend a fire, any private land owners or the wilderness and surrounding areas as a result of the Otway Odyssey Festival.
As a result, there is a chance that the course could change on the day or the event could be postponed to the Sunday or the event could be cancelled. The event will only be cancelled if there are extreme fire weather conditions in the area over the entire weekend and it is determined that the fire danger is too great to permit cyclists to go through the course. Declaration of a Total Fire Ban on race day DOES NOT mean the event will be automatically cancelled or postponed.
Declaration of a ‘Code Red’ or ‘Extreme’ fire danger rating for the South West fire district on race day will mean the event will be cancelled or postponed and Rapid Ascent’s refund policy for the Otway Odyssey will be enacted as detailed on the event website.
Declaration of a ‘Severe’ fire danger rating for the South West fire district on event day will result in discussions with land managers. Riders will be advised of the outcome as detailed below. The event MAY still continue on the Saturday or the following day OR it may be cancelled.
Any change of course, evacuation or event cancellation will be communicated to competitors as soon and as safely as possible, through any of the following means:
- SMS sent to competitors mobile phones
- at the event registration area on Saturday afternoon at Forrest
- when riders are assembled at the start line
- when riders pass a checkpoint
- directional arrows stating “Fire – proceed direct to Finish”
- all messages will be copied and placed on the official event notice board in front of the registration area at the Forrest Festival and on this event website.
Once again, these changes would be a last resort, but we respect rider safety, the landowners, residents, flora and fauna of this beautiful part of the world in extreme circumstances.