TRAINING AND SUPPORT
Odyssey Angels is all about helping you feel comfortable about racing and to provide the opportunity to relate any feelings or uncertainties with like-minded women on bikes! Not to mention the great social side too.
Below you’ll find information and details on the following:
ODYSSEY ANGELS FACEBOOK GROUP
A Facebook group for female riders in the Otway Odyssey MTB and Gravel Grinds was created last year. What are you waiting for – head on over and JOIN US!
- Join HERE
- This is a closed group set up and administered by women for women
- This is a place to meet, chat and share your MTB experiences with fellow Otway Odyssey MTB participants (or potential participants!)
- This is NOT a sales page.
TRAINING GUIDE, by Jess Douglas
Our Odyssey Angel and super-supporter of female riders Jess Douglas has prepared a couple of training tips and a 12-week 'easy to use' guide to help you prepare for the race. It is not a regimented program that locks you into a sweaty hell for months to come - it is a bare minimum preparation guide to get you to the start line.
Starting with just 1 hour a week, building up to 2-3 hours. This is a CAN DO guide!
Extract from Jess' Training Guide:
It is wise to adopt the philosophies that, “Something is better than nothing” & “Better done than perfect”. You do not have to give up your life or change your skills tomorrow. You do not need to be perfect or 100% prepared.
The recipe is simple:
- Start easy.
- Make it fun.
- Create a habit.
- Make your commitment achievable.
- Be consistent.
2-3hrs a week is all you need to go from nothing to finishing the Odyssey Angels!
TRAINING AND MTB SUPPORT
There are a number of women’s specific bike groups, classes and skills sessions conducted for women so check out the following groups for more information and support.
Liz Mulconry (CycleTecnic)
Liz’s passion for riding led her to start Cycle Tecnic which delivers mountain bike skills, support and coaching. With her ‘Ride Club’ you can meet like-minded individuals, predominantly female, and meet up for recreational and training rides as you prepare for your Otway Odyssey.
With over 15 years mountain bike riding experience and racing, Liz is very excited to be one of our Odyssey Angels and is looking forward to sharing the love of mountain biking with you.
Options with Liz:
- Course recon of 30km
- Forrest MTB Skills course
- 2019 date TBC
- More information and to book - HERE
- Ride Club training group
- 5 weeks, from January to February 2019 - TBC
- Sunday mornings 9am - 12noon
- More information and to book - HERE
- Intro to MTB
- Other Training days
- Liz will be an official Odyssey Angel on the day
- Friday evening Odyssey Angel Ladies Lounge host.
Get in touch with LIZ here: http://cycletecnic.com.au
Jess Douglas is an 12-time rider of the Otway Odyssey having never missed a year racing the 100km course. She is a three-time world 24hr elite solo mountain bike champion, and three-time Australian 24hr elite solo mountain bike champion – and one of the most down to earth and well known members of the mountain bike community!
Jess knows the Forrest trails inside and out (she used to live there!); and can’t wait to help you on your journey towards the 2019 Otway Odyssey.
Options with Jess:
- Forrest - Skills & Course Practice with Jess Douglas
- 2019 date TBC
- Yaugher Trail head - Boundary Rd, Forrest.
One date to cover the course as well as skills.
- 9am - Skills 2hrs
- 11am - Lunch break - BYO as we will be out at the Yaugher trail head.
- 12:00pm - Course Reconnaisance 3hrs
- Completion back at trail head 3pm
*Limited to the first 15 people as this session is FREE!
EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org to book your spot.
- Friday evening Odyssey Angel ladies lounge host.
Get in touch with JESS here: https://www.jessicadouglas.com/
There are a number of other groups out there as summarized below (and if you know of any others then let us know!):
NUTRITION ADVICE WITH JO HAND
I’m Jo, Flow Nutritionist, a qualified Practitioner of Nutritional Medicine.
I love being out in nature! I ride bikes as exercise, meditation and FUN!
I love food, and energy food gives me.
I’ve been in a place where I thought the above was such an effort. Feeling sluggish and flat, day in, day out!
I was trying to fuel whilst training, and ending up with a gut looking 6months pregnant, and fading really fast, when everyone else was powering on. It wasn't due to lack of training, it was due to malabsorption and the wrong foods for me.
I can help you with fuelling for training, racing, and most important whilst training, recovering!
Keeping your immune system strong over these next couple of months, is going to keep you flowing all the way to race day!
Power of Positive Food!
Contact Flow Nutrition: 0409 958 263 | email@example.com | www.flownutritionist.com.au
ODYSSEY RIDE ANGELS
Odyssey Ride Angels will be friendly female riders out on their bikes to help us on the day if we get stuck. Their friendly smiles, fluttering wings and race day experience will be a sign of welcome relief and support if you need a hand!
Ride Angels will be at the start line for the 50km MTB, 49km Gravel Grind, and 30km MTB to assist with any last minute bike issues, answer any questions and be there for support and encouragement
- Ride Angels will also be out on the course to offer bike support, encouragement and assistance if you have a mechanical, get a puncture or get lost (30km female MTB ride exempt from the usual “no outside assistance” rule)
- Ride Angels will be on hand at the informal Information Session in the Ladies Lounge on the Friday evening 6:00pm – 7:00pm
- Ride Angels will be identified with colored fairy wings
If you’d like to be an Odyssey Angel then please contact us as we’d love you on the team! Email firstname.lastname@example.org