Cheer and support your runners
Spectators, support crews and team mates and actively encouraged to follow the event around, to clap and cheer on all runners at the various access points along the course. This not only helps the runners but builds a great atmosphere and enthusiasm across the entire event. Come one – come all to the Margaret River Ultra Marathon!
The race course is very accessible to the public with numerous locations where you can see the runners - and in the process you’ll visit some very scenic sections of the Margaret River region along the way – perfect!
VFUEL Checkpoints and recommended viewing
The checkpoints are the best locations to see the runners and are the only places where competitors may receive external assistance from support crew and/or team mates. Designated checkpoints are located at these points:
- Start: Hamelin Bay boat ramp
- VFuel Checkpoint 1: 10.5km at the Boranup Campsite.
- VFuel Checkpoint 2: 28.5km at the Contos Campground
- VFuel Checkpoint 3: 48km White Elephant Café, Gnarabup
- VFuel Checkpoint 4: 62km Ellensbrook House.
- Finish: 80km Cheeky Monkey Brewery and Cidery.
[Any runners seen to be receiving any external support outside of these checkpoints will be given a 30 minute penalty - this includes collecting water bottles or other hydration or nutrition from spectators as well as items that have been ‘pre-placed’ on the course for collection during the race.]
There are numerous other locations to see runners such as recommended locations:
- 23km pt – 100m in from the intersection of Boranup Drive and Caves Rd
- 42km pt – at Redgate Beach
- 46km pt – at the southern end of Gas Bay Rd in Gnarabup
- 50km pt – at Surfers Point and the Margaret River mouth
- 65km pt – at the southern end of Left Handers
- 68km pt – in Gracetown
Further details with parking instructions, runners’ expected arrival times, driving directions etc… of each of these checkpoints will be prepared nearer the event.
Support for solo runners
We encourage all solo 80km runners to have a support crew to assist you during your race BUT the race is designed and delivered such that you do not need a support crew and can do the race as a solo competitor unaided. This is made possible because the following support services are provided:
- Bus from the finish to the start on race morning. So you park your car at the finish and get our group transport to the start. This will be on a user pays basis.
- Drop bags. We will transport a ‘drop bag’ of your pre-prepared clothing / nutrition from registration at the Cheeky Monkey to each of the checkpoints for you free of charge.
- Race nutrition at checkpoints. We will provide considerable food and hydration at the designated checkpoints that is free for all competitors to access. Further details here
- Bag transfer from the start back to the finish with any items you do not need (such as a warm jumper…)
- Trail ‘love’! Our race marshals and volunteers will give you plenty of love and attention when on the course if you need it – you will have all out encouragement and support!
If you have any questions with regard the logistics for solo runners then please call us on (03) 5261 5511 or e-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org
Support Crew Area’s and Map
A specific map will be prepared for support crews that helps you navigate your way around the checkpoints, also highlighting other spots you can clap and cheer on your runners, and the best café’s and lunch spots along the way!
Follow The Race Progress
Social Media: Live event updates on twitter #margaretriverultra
Live event updates will be posted on Twitter across the weekend so make sure you search for #margaretriverultra or follow Rapid Ascent at http://twitter.com/Rapid_Ascent and you’ll receive a steady stream of results, photos and news snippets from around the course as it happens. Tell your friends and families at home to follow us so they can keep in touch with what’s happening too!
Live Event Splits
Live splits from each check point will be sent directly to the web (and a mobile friendly website) during the race so you can follow your team mates and friends to see how they are going (the live splits are a great way for team mates to track your team to see where they are.) You can nominate runners you want to track around the course or see the current standings in each category whilst the race is under way. The links will be provided just prior to race weekend.
There is good phone reception across the whole course so mobile internet coverage and phone calls are possible throughout the course.