Falls Creek Mountain Raid Race Rules
Please read the following Rules and Regulations for the event. Race management reserves the right to modify or change the rules and regulations at any time. If after reading the information below anything needs further clarification please contact us at [email protected]
Adventure Race Rules
- Prior to competing in the event, participants must:
- Read and Sign Participant Indemnity
- Be fully competent in paddling
- At all times during the event (unless when team members are required to compete in an individual discipline) participants are to be within 50 metres of all other team mates at all times, ensuring that each participant is continually observed by their team-mates. Penalty 3hrs.
- Cut-off times will be advised to teams as part of the race handbook. These cut-off times will be strictly enforced to ensure the safety of the event. The race organisers reserve the right to change these cut off times as they see fit and this may be dependent on weather conditions. Competitors missing cut off times will be unranked but may re-commence the course from the start of the next stage (after then one missed)
- We recommend all Australian competitors hold current health insurance via a private health fund or some form of ambulance cover
- Non-Australian competitors must hold appropriate travel insurance that will cover competitors for medical emergencies and transport to medical facilities and repatriation to their home country
- All teams are permitted to lodge protests against results or decisions enforced during the event. A judging panel of three Rapid Ascent Directors (including the relevant leg director) will adjudicate on all protests and other contentious matters, and their decision will be final.
- Rapid Ascent has sole discretion to alter or amend the race format or the rules in order to increase the safety of participants or for any other reason deemed appropriate.
- Support crews may only assist teams in transition areas
- Competitors may not use GPS's or any other navigational aids aside from a compass at any stage throughout the event. Use of mobile phones with GPS capability is also forbidden.
- There will be NO dark zones imposed for this race.
- Teams must collect CP’s in number order (unless specified otherwise in the race handbook) before reaching the next transition area (TA).
- Teams MUST check in and check out with race staff at all TA’s by inserting your timing stick into the timing box
- Teams will all start together each morning in a mass start format
- All TA’s will be manned by race staff and your times will be recorded at each TA.
- CP’s will be a combination of white/orange orienteering style flags or flat metal plates with white/orange triangles painted on them (these may be used in more public locations and will be locked in place).
- All CPs will have an electronic ‘timing box’ into which you insert your timing stick as proof that you have been to the CP.
- If a team decides to withdraw from the race they MUST do this only at a manned TA and only after advising a race official.
Rankings for Teams
We will be providing optional checkpoints and a time credit system on some checkpoints. This means that not ALL checkpoints will be compulsory. Optional checkpoints obtained will earn you time credits - in fact more time than it takes to reach/find the checkpoint if you are moving well. Strategy will be key! This system is also designed to keep all the teams bunched together more and challenge (and reward) those looking for a harder challenge but provide an easier route for slower teams. There may still be cut off times imposed at certain points, which means if your team reaches a checkpoint after a stipulated cut off then your team must proceed on a mandated course.
Trail Runs - Race Rules
The rules listed below are for the 2016 Falls Creek Mountain Raid Trail Runs:
- Juniors only - (under 18 on race day) must have their parent or guardian read and sign an authorisation and indemnity prior to participating in the event.
- Competitors must follow the complete course as marked and directed. Taking shortcuts or using any unfair means of obtaining an advantage over other competitors will result in disqualification. It is the competitor’s responsibility to ensure that the correct course is followed
- Your race number must be visible at all times on the outside of your clothing (at the front).
- Littering is prohibited.
- Competitors shall not receive any external assistance on the course
- One competitor cannot provide assistance in forward progression through physical pushing / pulling / towing, or the provision of food or drinks to a competitor in another category except in emergency circumstances
- Australian Road Rules apply at all times on all roads, tracks and trails
- Any competitor who withdraws from the race MUST notify an official. This is an essential requirement to avoid unnecessary searches being conducted and emergency services being engaged
- All runners are permitted to lodge protests against results or decisions enforced during the event. A judging panel of three Rapid Ascent Directors will adjudicate on all protests and other contentious matters, and their decision will be final
- Rapid Ascent has sole discretion to alter or amend the race rules in order to increase the safety of participants or for any other reason deemed appropriate
- If the race is cancelled or called off after it has started, it is each competitor’s responsibility to get themselves to the start / finish area as soon as you have been notified of the cancellation.