TRAINING AND PREPARATION FOR THE AUGUSTA ADVENTURE FEST
At Rapid Ascent we're all about encouraging people to get into adventure racing and keep fit whilst enjoying the great outdoors. We’ve compiled a list of training tips, equipment advice, course recommendations and race nutrition links and information below.
There is a superb Facebook group that’s very active with chat and information updates focussed on the Augusta Adventure Fest that we strongly encourage anyone who is interested in the event to join. Most group members have done the event(s) a few times and are full of advice and info for those who may be new to the event. Many group training sessions, course training days and other group workouts are all shared on this page so join the group and stay in touch.
Connect with the Augusta Adventure Fest Chat Group
Are you ready to get off-road and join the revolution of adventure racing? The Augusta Adventure Fest is the ultimate new challenge for you!
As with all things in life, the bigger the challenge… the bigger the reward. Most first time adventure racers recall their first finish as one of the most incredible moments of their life. It’s amazing what your mind and body can achieve. So step up, sign up for a challenge and re-write your own limits.
The Augusta Adventure Race has been readjusted for 2018... it is ideal as it’s not too long or technical, and aims giving you an enriching adventure! Do it solo or in a relay team doing 1 leg each.
- Need equipment? We can help – see our Equipment page HERE
- Need training advice or people to train with? We can help – see below…
- Not sure where to start? We can help – give us a call 03 5261 5511
- Want to join a team? We can help – see our Teammate finder page HERE
Ocean paddle clinic - Friday 2 November - $10
Dean Gardiner from Oceanpaddler will be hosting an Ocean Paddling Clinic on Friday 2 Nov before the big event. Learn some of the tricks on how to negotiate surf, use chop and race more efficiently in open water on your ski or kayak.
- Ten Time World Surf Ski Champion
- World Outrigger Canoe Champion
- Multiple Winner of SLSA National Titles
- Member of the Australian Professional Lifeguard Team 91-2001
The clinic will take approximately eighty minutes and involve both theory and some practical work in the river mouth. PFDs and Leashs required.
- Location: Oceanpaddler/Fenn Tent at race venue and river mouth.
- Time/Date: 2pm Friday 2nd November
- Cost: $10PP | FREE for under 18s
Training sessions with b F!T Train - Mike Oscar Barton
Training sessions will be offered by b F!T Train - Mike Oscar Barton who is a 10-time solo Augusta Adventure Race competitor, Multi-Sport Coach and Registered Fitness professional.
Mike has run the training sessions and familiarisation weekends for the past few years.
- 1 on 1 & small group coaching (Swim, Run and MTB- race specific) $ 70/hr within 5km Fremantle.
- Personalised Race Specific, Strength and Conditioning programs - enquire for cost.
- Weekly Group Run Session - All levels :
- Venue: Wilson Park, South Fremantle (Meet at South Beach Café)
- Days and Time: Every Friday, 5.55am - 7am
- Fee: Casual $16 (packages of 10,20,30 sessions at discount rates)
- What the sessions offer: Like minded participants, Run specific drills, Joint and Muscle Agility, Mobility, Flexibility and balance. NOTE: NO Endurance
- What to bring: Head torch, trail shoes, rain jacket, a fun open approach.
CONTACT: Mike Barton - email@example.com | 0422 533 989 | Facebook
Training sessions - other...
Dunsborough Running Club
Train up for the big weekend with the Dunsborough Running Club's '12 weeks to Augusta' program.
Training sessions are:
- Tuesday 5.30pm
- Friday 5pm
- Sunday 8am.
In addition, they'll be doing some group rides and possibly some paddle sessions too. Find out more on the Dunsborough Running Club Facebook page.
- Runs regular skills sessions
- Call 9293 2115 or visit Kalamunda Cycles – 15 Canning Road, Kalamunda
Perth Mountain Bike Club
- Offers a complete list of off-road mountain bike events to get you some MTB race practise
- Visit their website www.perthmtb.asn.au
West Australian Mountain Bike Association
Dirt Skills Margaret River
- Running Dirt Skills Trail School - catering for anyone that wants to have more fun
- Saturdays from 1pm - 3pm
- Visit their website www.dirtskillsmargaretriver.com
Indian Ocean Paddlers
- Winter race series conducted at Leighton Beach over the winter months.
- They also have a number of training sessions which are open to paddlers to attend.
- Website: www.iop.canoe.org.au
If you are looking for paddling coaching check out some of the following as detailed below:
Got a group session we can promote?
We are more than happy to promote other groups' training sessions on the course - please email the details to firstname.lastname@example.org